1/21/09

Art School Confidential (2006)

Director: Terry Zwigoff (Ghost World, Bad Santa [both great films])
Stars: Max Minghella (Syriana [its the only thing I've seen of his and it was a minor role, his father directed the English Patient])
John Malkovitch (Being John Malkovitch, Johnny English)
YesNoSoso: 2

I didn't even know Zwigoff existed until a few weeks ago and his is instantly making a case to be one of my favorite directors. I loved Bad Santa but didn't recognize any of his other works until I saw Ghost World, which I thought was great. Art School Confidential, like Ghost World, was originally a graphic novel by Daniel Clowes, and I'm not sure if I like the writing or the direction better, but either way it makes an incredible end product. I had read that Art School Confidential was worse than Ghost World, which is entirely untrue. They do have extremely similar feels, but while I liked Ghost World, I loved Art School Confidential. I'm even toying with giving this movie the exclusive Emphatic 2 tag, which effectively highlights my issues with the Rotten Tomatoes aggregator. RT gave ATC a 37%.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: