8/19/10

The New World (2005)

Director: Terrance Malick (Thin Red Line, Badlands [haven't seen either, but hear they're good])
Stars: Colin Farrell (Crazy Heart, S.W.A.T.)
Q'orianka Kilcher (nothing else really)
YesNoSoso: 1

I put this movie on my Netflix because it was listed on the Onion's AV Club's top 10 movies of the 2000's. Although I respect the AV Club's track record, I have to respectfully disagree with this inclusion. It was boring. As boring as any movie I've ever seen. It avoids the embarassment of a YesNoSoso 0 because of the innovative and downright daring directorial decisions of Terrance Malick. Do yourself a favor and read the trivia section on the IMDB page. Malick employed such aggressive styles as editing the movie around a completed score, using only steady-cam and handhold camera shots, using virtually no artificial light and an average shot length 10x as long as the industry standard. All these decisions give The New World a very authentic feel and I will always respect a director who applies unconventional means to aid the storytelling. But again, boring.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: