8/19/10

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Director: Steven Spielberg (Raiders of the Lost Ark, War of the Worlds)
Stars: Henry Thomas (Gangs of New York, Suicide Kings [which was pretty good, but I haven't seen anything else he's been in. Although I can only assume Pycho 4: The Beginning was terrible)
Drew Barrymore (Donnie Darko, Fever Pitch)
YesNoSoso: 2

My parents always say I was the only kid in the country that didn't like E.T. Combine that fact with my anger at Speilberg for essentially inventing the summer blockbuster and I had little incentive to re-watch this. I'm upset I stalled. E.T. is, for lack (or laziness) of a better word, a really fun movie. The bike racing scenes were exciting and inspired a boyish nostalgia, I can only imagine how enjoyable they are for boys (and some girls) of bike-riding age. Regardless of my disdain for money-above-all-else culture Spielberg has inspired in Hollywood, I would be remiss not to mention/realize that he accomplished it with extraordinarily good movies. My only beef is the obvious CGI he added in the remastered version. Luckily I was able to look past that and appreciate E.T. for the lovable animatronic Muppet he undoubtedly was in my childhood.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: