8/19/10

Away We Go (2009)

Director: Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition [both amazing])
Stars: John Krasinski ("The Office", It's Complicated)
Maya Rudolph (Idiocracy, Grown-ups)
YesNoSoso: 2

Its hard to go wrong with a film directed by Sam Mendes and written my Dave Eggers (and his wife), but apparently Away We Go just didn't jive with audiences. I thought it was really funny. Not in the belly-laughter style of The Hangover or Old School, but in a familiar and comforting way. Krasinksi's true talents lie not in timing or any other classical comedic skills. His strength is his likability. I know this sounds like a knock but it is not, he somehow creates characters (I'm sure its mostly just him) that make you want to hang out with him (and not in the "I'm kickin it with a movie star" way). When he's on the screen, I feel like I'm just hanging out with him cracking jokes and that is a very powerful tool when creating comedy. Maggie Gyllenhall, Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Daniels, Allison Janney and Jim Gaffigan add to the color of the film with amazingly portrayed eccentric characters.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: