12/27/09

True Lies (1994)

Director: James Cameron (Terminator 2, Titanic)
Stars: Arnold Schwarzenegger (Total Recall, Batman & Robin)
Jamie Lee Curtis (Trading Places, Freaky Friday)
YesNoSoso: 2

True Lies is the movie I always forget when I'm blasting James Cameron. This movie is absolutely incredible and really one of a kind. Its almost as if Cameron tricked Schwarzenegger into doing this movie. True Lies is essentially a satire of Arnold's movies, but its also (in my opinion) his best one. It pulls off the ultra-rare feat of trying to satirize a specific genre of movie, being successful and also making a great movie WITHIN the genre it was trying to satirize. I would imagine if I told 1000 people that I believe James Cameron has only one Emphatic 2, I'd get a whole lot of Terminator 2's, some Aliens, a few Titanics and an Abyss or 2, but not a single True Lies. (BTW if your curious T2 is a begrudged 2 (I don't think its stood the test of time), Aliens and Titanic are f-ing zeros and I don't remember the Abyss enough to give it a rating [not a good sign]).
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: