4/1/09

Watchmen (2009)

Director: Zack Snyder (300, Micheal Jordan's: Playground)
Stars: Billy Crudup (Almost Famous, Mission: Impossible III)
Patrick Wilson (Running with Scissors, Lakeview Terrace)
YesNoSoso: 2

Yes, I actually saw a movie in a theater, but I wanted to see it in IMAX, which was impossible since Watchmen got bumped in favor of Monsters vs Aliens and Under the Sea 3D (fuck you Dreamworks...and I suppose whoever made Under the Sea 3D). So I watched on the regular 30 foot movie screen like a commoner, and it was still quite awesome. The main complaints I've been hearing from people and the blogosphere (LOVE that word) are that its too long and the ending sucks (also that there is too much blue penis). I can definitely identify with both of these complaints (the blue penis was barely present and was certainly not "in your face", you really had to go out of your way to look at it. If your into that sort of thing). I was riveted to the screen for the first 2 hours of the movie but started wishing it would just end for the last half an hour. But still I don't know what should've been cut, this may be a case where I need to get my ADHD in check and just suck it up. I had no qualms with the ending, I just don't see any real reason they couldn't have just filmed the graphic novel's ending. Maybe a giant tentacle guy would've been too hard to believe or something. Pussies. All in all I am extremely happy with Snyder's Watchmen. To say I was upset when I found out a Watchmen movie was being made would be an understatement. I've always viewed Watchmen as the quintesessntial product of its medium and I was having a hard time believing a director (while resisting producers) would be able to accuratley portray its themes. Much like I don't think Citizen Kane would make a good book, I didn't think a Watchmen movie would work either. While the movie is nowhere near as complete as the book, Snyder did as good of a job as could be expected and has created a rather amazing peice of cinema.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: