4/6/09

The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984)

Director: Stuart Rosenberg (Cool Hand Luke, The Amityville Horror [both pretty good, but I haven't seen or heard of any of his other movies])
Stars: Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler, Double Team)
Eric Roberts (The Dark Knight, Phat Girlz)
YesNoSoso: 1

I received so many ringing endorsements of this movie I was surprised to be spending a majority of the movie figuring out whether it was YesNoSoso 1 or 0. Perhaps my dislike had to do with this being one of the original modern gangster movies, and since filmmakers have spent the last 25 years building on the genre, it seemed hackneyed. Who knows? But I was bored. Plus it ends rather anti-climatically and unresolved. Geraldine Page's speech to the police investigating her son's murder is one of the few shining lights making this movie barely worth the time to view it.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: