4/20/09

The Reader (2008)

Director: Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours [didn't really like either one])
Stars: Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Titanic)
Ralph Fiennes (In Bruges, Maid in Manhatten)
YesNoSoso: 1

The Reader was alright. Not that good, not particularly bad and Kate Winslet's performance was particularly underwhelming. When the Oscars were on I was enlightened, by my roommate, to the fact that the Oscars are like the Super Bowl for women. I didn't realize this and was rather disappointed in the viewing preferences of the opposite sex (but not very surprised). That was until the Best Actress category came up and my roommate (a relatively well-informed movie enthusiast) said, "God, I hope Kate Winslet wins." To which I replied "Have you even seen The Reader?" To which she stated she hadn't, causing irreparable and permanent strain on our relationship. Check it out I suppose, but prepared to be disappointed.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: