6/28/10

Crazy Heart (2009)

Director: Scott Cooper (his directorial debut)
Stars: Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski, The Muse)
Maggie Gyllenhaal (The Dark Knight, 40 Day and 40 Nights)
YesNoSoso: 2

I'm pretty jaded (fed up?) with the Hollywood music biopic and I hate country music, so logic would imply that I would dislike this movie. But Jeff Bridges gives an amazing performance and is particularly (and somewhat surprisingly) adept at singing. A lot of comparisons have been made with The Wrestler, which is certainly called for, but I thought Crazy Heart was even better. Washed up country singer Bad Blake plays one-night-stands for cash when he falls in love with a reporter that interviews him. It sounds as trite as can be, but I assure you, it actually comes through feeling original. Combine that with the awesome music (yes I described country music as awesome) performed by the unlikely sources of Bridges and Colin Farrell and its a truly re-watchable film.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: