7/24/09

Blindness (2008)

Director: Fernando Meirelles (City of God, The Constant Gardener)
Stars: Julianne Moore (The Big Lebowski, Nine Months)
Mark Ruffulo (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 13 Going on 30)
YesNoSoso: 1

I have never wrestled with a YesNoSoso rating more than I did with Blindness. To start with, everybody is well versed in my hard-on for awesome concepts and apocolyptic themes and Blindness has both in spades. In the movie, an unexplained mass epidemic of blindness ravages the world causing a total breakdown in society. Julianne Moore's character is the only person unaffected by the disease and the story follows her and her affected husband, Mark Ruffulo, as they navigate the dangers of a society in collapse. But there were times between the :30 to 1:00 hour mark, where I found the movie to really drag. There were also multiple moments that deeply disturbed me. All in all I'm happy I saw the movie and appreciate the aggressive artistic direction, but wouldn't watch it again.
IMDB
Wikipedia

No comments: